Cryptographic hash functions
For non-cryptographic hash functions, see Error detection and correction.
Formats and protocols
- OpenSSL salted format
- Silent Circle Instant Messaging Protocol
Digital rights management (DRM)
- Content Scramble System (used on DVDs)
See also Security for information on digital certificates and electronic signing. Various other formats, including compression, archiving, and filesystem formats, may support encryption as a built-in feature or through plug-ins.
- One way to keep your documents secure...
- Is It the Dawn of the Encryption App?
- Amid NSA uproar, encryption-standards body defends process
- STEED: project to create nonproprietary encryption
- Defending Against Crypto Backdoors
- Dark Mail Alliance - developing end-to-end encryption for e-mail
- FLOSS Manuals content being used in CryptoParties
- Cryptography Breakthrough Could Make Software Unhackable
- Time-capsule crypto to help journalists protect their sources
Code breaking, bugs, and back doors
- Breaking Hard-Disk Encryption
- Password Cracking AES-256 DMGs and Epic Self-Pwnage
- Laws of Physics Say Quantum Cryptography Is Unhackable. It’s Not
- SSL: Intercepted today, decrypted tomorrow
- Report: NSA slices through most 'net encryption, according to 'Bullrun' documents leaked by Snowden
- Critical crypto bug leaves Linux, hundreds of apps open to eavesdropping
- Researchers challenge Apple's claim of unbreakable iMessage encryption
- NSA had secret deal on back-doored crypto with security firm RSA, Snowden docs reveal
- Why Android SSL was downgraded from AES256-SHA to RC4-MD5 in late 2010
- SSL3 “POODLE” Vulnerability
- 70-year old code uncracked
- Mysterious coded messages at university library
- 7 Codes You’ll Never Ever Break
- World's most mysterious manuscript has genuine message
- Cryptofloricon: send a message with flowers (not a secret one, though, since the decryption key is on the website!)
- Memo to the Amateur Cipher Designer
- Fast-Talking Computer Hacker Just Has To Break Through Encryption Shield Before Uploading Nano-Virus (The Onion)
- Check Out the Cipher from an Assassination Attempt on Queen Elizabeth
- Crypto Won’t Save You Either
- Programming-contest entries to hide a nasty message in note to boss
- LibFTE: A toolkit for constructing practical, format-abiding encryption schemes.