Office Open XML (OOXML) PowerPoint (.PPTX) is the default file format for documents used by Microsoft PowerPoint as of PowerPoint 2007. The format can be read by the Open Source OpenOffice and LibreOffice suites.
The file extension is .pptx and the approved MIME type is application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation.
This format has sometimes been referred to as PresentationML by the same people who use "SpreadsheetML" to describe XLSX and "WordProcessingML" to describe DOCX, though SpreadsheetML and WordProcessingML were already used to describe earlier XML-based Microsoft-developed formats.
Graphical inserted elements may be stored in the form of DrawingML, embedded in the XML.
This (along with the other Office Open XML items DOCX and XLSX) was initially standardized as ECMA-376 in 2006. Three formats of this standard have been produced; the second version also corresponds to ISO/IEC 29500. OOXML may not completely comply with the latter as of 2012.
- Textract: extract text from various document formats including PPTX
- Python library for parsing Office Open XML files
- ECMA-376 specification
- ISO/IEC 29500 specification
- OOXML Format Family -- ISO/IEC 29500 and ECMA 376 (Library of Congress)
- PPTX Transitional (Office Open XML), Library of Congress
- PPTX Strict (Office Open XML), Library of Congress
- Markup Compatibility and Extensibility (Office Open XML), Library of Congress