Szip, AKA Sunzip, is a file compression utility and compressed file format. It was written by Michael Schindler. Due to changes in the program, there are actually 3 incompatible Szip formats:
- the format used from v. 1.00 to v. 1.04;
- then, the format used in version 1.05X and its subversions (the "X" does not stand for anything; this is actually part of the version number);
- and then, the format used for version 1.10 (which came immediately after the 1.05Xs) and above.
The author "recommend[s] using .sz for szipped files and .tar.sz or .tsz for szipped tarfiles".
Szip files start with
0x53 0x5a 0x0a 0x04.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 V. 1.12a, source → history
- ↑ V. 1.11 Windows/DOS distribution → README.TXT
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 V. 1.12a, source → readme
- ↑ V. 1.11 Windows/DOS distribution → SZ_FORMT.TXT