Outlook Express Database
An Outlook Express Database (DBX) is used by Microsoft Outlook Express (distinct from Outlook) to store e-mail messages and folders.
Files begin with hex bytes
CF AD 12 FE.
This is followed by a class ID (CLSID) depending on whether the file contains messages or folders:
- Message Database: 6F74FDC5-E366-11d1-9A4E-00C04FA309D4
- Folder Database: 6F74FDC6-E366-11d1-9A4E-00C04FA309D4
- Offline Database: 26FE9D30-1A8F-11D2-AABF-006097D474C4
- Forensic Wiki page (archived)
- Downloadable file format info (archived)
- Outlook to Unix mail converter (supports DBX via library libdbx among other Microsoft mail-related formats). Contains FILE-FORMAT for Outlook Express 5.0 DBX files
- DBX to PST converter
- undbx tool to extract, recover and undelete e-mail messages from Outlook Express .dbx files.