OpenDocument, also known as Open Document Format for Office Applications or ODF, is a family of file formats designed to be used by word processors, spreadsheet applications, and other office applications. It is (more or less?) the successor to OpenOffice.org XML. These formats were developed by a group called OASIS, so they are sometimes referred to as "OASIS format" or "OASIS Open Document Format".
In most cases, OpenDocument files begin with the ASCII string "
PK", have "
mimetype" at offset 30, and "
application/vnd.oasis.opendocument." at offset 38.
- Wikipedia: OpenDocument software
- Wikipedia: Comparison of OpenDocument software
- libodfgen library
- ODF Toolkit (Java) including:
ODF version support over time
|ODF version||Date of standard approval by OASIS||First supporting version of the software|
|ODF 1.0||2005-05-01||OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 or StarOffice 7|
|ODF 1.1||2007-02-02||OpenOffice.org 2.2 or StarOffice 8 Update 4|
|ODF 1.2||2011-09-30||OpenOffice.org 3, StarOffice 9, Oracle Open Office|
|ODF 1.2 (Extended)||-||OpenOffice.org 3.2 or StarOffice 9.2|
Taken from LibreOffice - XML File Formats.
- Wikipedia: OpenDocument
- Wikipedia: OpenDocument technical specification
- OpenDoc Society: opendocumentformat.org
- Forensic Wiki article
- LibreOffice vs OpenOffice: Comparative review
- UK picks Open Document Format for all government files
- Discussion of embedding fonts in ODF documents
- ODF: The Open Document Format
- ODF Spreadsheet Interoperability (Microsoft discussion)
- Images not embedded because of paste as link bug in OpenOffice and LibreOffice