OLE 1.0 object
OLE 1.0 object is the main data structure associated with Microsoft's Object Linking and Embedding 1.0 system. It represents an embedded or linked object. The format appears in some Write and Cardfile files, and presumably in many other document formats.
The top-level object is one of a few possible types, distinguished by the "FormatID" field:
- FormatID=1 "linked": Contains reference information (such as a filename), and a nested presentation object.
- FormatID=2 "embedded": Contains native data associated with some application, and a nested presentation object.
- FormatID=3 "static": Apparently the same structure as a presentation object (FormatID=5). Apparently not documented in the MS-OLEDS document.
A presentation object can have these types:
- FormatID=0: Empty.
- FormatID=5: Contains an image, or a clipboard object.
In addition to the arbitrary payload data, these standard formats may be contained in an OLE 1.0 object:
- Microsoft Compound File, a.k.a. OLE2 - Successor format (sort of)
- [MS-OLEDS]: Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) Data Structures
- Microsoft's documentation of Card File Format includes an outline of the format.