Netflix Streaming is the streaming-video part of the Netflix service, developed originally as an offshoot of the original Netflix DVD-by-mail service. At first, subscribers to the mailed disc rentals got the opportunity to watch streaming videos over the Internet as well, and over time the selection of videos and range of devices able to watch them increased. Eventually the services were split with separate subscription fees, though a much-ridiculed attempt to rename the mailed-disc service "Qwikster" was aborted before being implemented.
Streaming is done using the proprietary Microsoft Silverlight framework.
- Netflix site
- How To Run Netflix on openSUSE
- What people are viewing on Netflix now
- How Netflix Reverse Engineered Hollywood
- Netflix disables use of the Chrome developer console
- Commentary on Chrome disabling, by Cory Doctorow
- Netflix Roulette: pick Netflix movies at random
- Netflix is shutting down its public API today