Microsoft Agent character
Microsoft Agent was a Windows API, released in 1997 and abandoned by 2003, for creating animated characters (sometimes also called "agents") that would serve as part of a program's interface. It allowed for the creation of new characters, beyond the default provided by Microsoft.
Apparently there was both a "version 1" and "version 2" agent format.
Normal character files have the extension ".acs". For distribution online (from when a megabyte download would be too long a wait for most users), characters can be split into .acf files, containing the "core information" of the character; and .aca files, which contain individual animations.
At least for version 2 files, ACS files begin with
0xAB 0xCD 0xAB 0xC3 and ACF files with
0xAB 0xCD 0xAB 0xC4; ACA files apparently begin with a minor version number.
- Official character downloads
- Page with direct links
- The Agentry characters: Characters in ZIP files
- Various agents uploaded to the Internet Archive, e.g. Quitter
- Page listing various (mostly archived) collections of characters
- Web page
- Microsoft Platform SDK: Microsoft Agent
- Microsoft Agent web ring
- Wikipedia:Microsoft Agent
- ↑ Wikipedia:Microsoft Agent
- ↑ http://fileformats.lebeausoftware.org/downloadfile.aspx?ID=25001fc7-18e9-49a4-90dc-21e8ff46aa1d → Introduction
- ↑ http://fileformats.lebeausoftware.org/downloadfile.aspx?ID=25001fc7-18e9-49a4-90dc-21e8ff46aa1d → ACF Format
- ↑ http://fileformats.lebeausoftware.org/downloadfile.aspx?ID=25001fc7-18e9-49a4-90dc-21e8ff46aa1d