JAN (in addition to being the middle girl on The Brady Bunch) is the Japanese version of the EAN-13 bar code used for retail sales. It is identical to the EAN-13 codes used in other countries (besides the USA, which uses a slightly different UPC-A code with one fewer digit) and always has 45 or 49 as its first two digits (denoting country codes for Japan).
As with the other UPC and EAN codes, JAN codes can have supplementary digits through the JAN-8 additional code, the same as EAN-8.
- Review of barcode scanner apps
- iOS app to read UPC/EAN codes and find product info/prices
- Android app to read UPC and QR codes to look up product info/prices and other info coded or linked in bar codes
Developer libraries and modules
- ZBar bar code reader library: cross-platform
- zxing (Zebra Crossing) (barcode library for Java, ported to some other systems)
- MediaWiki extension to generate UPC, EAN, and Code39 codes
- Global UPC/EAN database
- Another EAN search site
- Bar code generator
- Online barcode generator (supports many different formats)