IPTC-IIM is a metadata format used in some types of image files. It was intended to be used in the news media industry for pictures transmitted in conjunction with news stories, with accompanying captions and other information.
IIM stands for Information Interchange Model, and IPTC for International Press Telecommunications Council, the organization which developed this standard. The format is sometimes referred to as IPTC-NAA IIM, because the Newspaper Association of America is also involved in developing these standards. The terms IPTC and IPTC metadata are sometimes used to refer to IPTC-IIM, though they have other meanings as well.
The format has been incorporated into the broader IPTC Photo Metadata standard, and is now essentially a legacy serialization format for that standard.
IPTC-IIM is structured as a sequence of data blocks, which the specification calls "DataSets". Each DataSet contains a 1-byte "record number" and a 1-byte "DataSet number", which together indicate the type of data stored in that DataSet.
- IPTC Photo Metadata
- In a TIFF file, IPTC-IIM uses tag 33723.
- IPTC-IIM may be embedded in Photoshop Image Resources metadata, with Resource ID 0x0404.
- JPEG files often contain IPTC-IIM embedded in Photoshop Image Resources.
- IPTC-IIM version 4.2
- IPTC-IIM version 4.1
- IPTC-IIM version 3
- ExifTool IPTC Tags
- Request for UUID Registration of IPTC Information (Embedding IPTC in JPEG 2000)
- ExifTool (e.g.
exiftool -IPTC:All ...)
- Metadata++ supports EXIF, IPTC, XMP
- Software for Rights Test i.e. which software supports embedding rights metadata.
- Software supporting IPTC photo metadata standards IIM and "IPTC Core"