From Just Solve the File Format Problem
- See also Filesystems, which are contained on Floppy Disks.
Formats for images of floppy disk data can be found at Disk Image Formats.
5 1/4 Inch
- IBM PC and compatible
- North Star
- Texas Instruments
3 1/2 Inch
- Akai Disk Format
- IBM PC and compatibles
- SAM Coupé
Data encoding formats
Devices to read floppy disks
Disk transfer info
- Info on disk transfers between Apple II and PC/Mac
- XFER STN (New Museum) (available to artists for converting old-format works)
- PC-Lect, program to read old disk formats (for PC/MS-DOS; doesn't work in Windows past Win98)
- List of Floppy Disk Formats, Wikipedia.
- Digitize the Planet: Floppy Disks
- Michael Haardt et al's Floppy User Guide has some information on physical, magnetic, etc formats.
- Floppy drive tech info
- Commodore copy protection books and manuals
- Rescuing Floppy Disks (Archive Team)
- Care of diskettes
- Floppy disk archaeology lecture (video)
- Dealing with difficult disks and drives
- New, Improved Obamacare Program Released On 35 Floppy Disks (The Onion; humor)
- What are the Windows A: and B: drives used for?
- The Flippy Disk Thing
- Imaging 5.25" floppies
- This could take a while...
- Previously Unknown Warhol Works Discovered on Floppy Disks from 1985
- Detailed report on the Warhol graphic recovery (PDF)
- One of the computers that would receive a nuclear launch order from the President still uses 8" floppy disks.
- Library of Congress Recommended Format Specifications: Software/Gaming
- What settings should be used when imaging floppy disks using a Kryoflux device?
- Spreadsheet of floppy formats and Kryoflux settings
- Kryoflux Disk ID software; tries to identify disk types in image
- Bulk disk imaging and disk-format identification with KryoFlux
- Zip Disks & Floppies: musical piece by artist who formerly used those media for storing beats
- Notes on copy protection of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back for Atari ST and Amiga
- Windows 10 Preview Removes Floppy Disk Drive Support
- Some discussion of Shugart 801 8" drive
- How Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry’s words were freed from old floppy disks
- An 8″ Floppy Disk Challenge
- Digital Obsolescence: Reproducing Floppy Data Cables
- The 8-Bit Guy: How Old School Floppy Drives Worked (video)
- Working with Floppy Disks from the 1980s
See also Disk Imaging Software & Systems.