Adobe intends for DNG to become an archival file type, creating an open standard for RAW files.
Metadata can be written directly into a DNG file.
The term digital negative is also used generically, to mean any raw image from a digital camera.
TIFF tag 50706 ("DNGVersion") is present. However, some files containing this tag would be better identified as a specific raw camera format.
Although the DNG specification is freely available, it makes frequent reference to the TIFF/EP specification, which is not.
- Digital Negative Specification, Version 188.8.131.52 (2012-06)
- Digital Negative Specification, Version 184.108.40.206 (2009-06; from archive.org)
- Digital Negative Specification, Version 220.127.116.11 (2008-04; from archive.org)
- Digital Negative Specification, Version 18.104.22.168 (2005-02; from archive.org)
- Digital Negative Specification, Version 22.214.171.124 (2004-09; from archive.org)