From Just Solve the File Format Problem
The BUFR file format (stands for "Binary Universal Form for the Representation of Meteorological Data") is used to represent meteorological data in a unified format.
- Wikipedia page on BUFR
- Official specs from the World Meteorological Organization here
- Presentations introducing the BUFR format (e.g. this one)
- Description of the messages encoded in a BUFR file here
- Guides to the table-driven data in BUFR files here
- BUFR File Format Summary, from the Encyclopedia of Graphics File Formats