3DXML is an XML and ZIP based file format for 3D representation files. The 3DXML file is actually a ZIP archive, and the contents include either XML or binary data defining 3D meshes or surface data. It is a proprietary format, though specs were at one point available via the official website; however, that site is now down and the archived copy only points to a page saying you need to register at the now-nonexistent site to get access to the documents.
CATIA is one of the programs by the makers of this format, and it is one of the formats used by this program.
Other CATIA formats
- CATDrawing - CATIA V5 Drawing document
- CATIA V4 Model - CATIA V4 Model / Part Description
- CATIA V4 Project - CATIA V4 Project
- CATMaterial - CATIA V5 Material
- CATPart - CATIA V5 Part document
- CATProcess - CATIA V5 Manufacturing document
- CATProduct - CATIA V5 Assembly document
- cgr - CATIA V5 graphic representation file