JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) is a name given to various character encoding standards based on JSA (Japanese Standards Association) standards. JIS defines the following character sets:
- JIS X 0201, encoding Roman letters (ROMAJI) and Katakana.
- JIS X 0208, supporting Kanji and Hiragana as well. There are 1978, 1983, 1990, and 1997 versions of the standard.
- JIS X 0212, which includes rarely used Kanji not included in the JIS X 0208 character set.
- JIS X 0213. There are 2000 and 2004 versions of the standard.
The following encodings are commonly used with JIS character sets:
- EUC (UJIS)
- One of the best resources on JIS charsets is the book "CJKV Information Processing" by Ken Lunde, O'Reilly 1999, ISBN 1-56592-224-7