From 2008 to 2017, the VoIP + chat program Skype stored the most accessible copy of its message and call history in an SQLite database named main.db. After version 12 was released in 2017, message history was instead kept in a slightly different database called skype.db, although main.db remains in the filesystem.. Much of the information stored in main.db, and some that wasn't (namely "deleted" messages), was also stored in a directory structure called "chatsync".
- : Skyperious, an open-source viewer written in Python
- pip2 name: skyperious
- : NirSoft SkypeLogViewer, a proprietary freeware viewer
-  Another proprietary freeware viewer
-  Ditto.
- StackOverflow: skype: how to read chat message using main.db
- StackOverflow: skype main.db - difference between Chats and Conversations
- Betrayed Spouses Club: Skype Main.db
- AskUbuntu: How should I see the skype chat history from the file main.db located at ~/.Skype/SKYPEUSERNAME/?
- Yahoo Answers: Why don't I have a main.db file on my Mac for Skype?
- ↑ O'Connor, T.J. Violent Python: A Cookbook For Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers And Security Engineers. Elsevier, 2013. p. 110. IA link
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20080716022445/http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/windows/beta/ Note the date.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/where-is-the-maindb-file-for-new-skype/b4d3f263-a97e-496e-aa28-e1dbb63e7687
- ↑ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_windesk-skype_messms-skype_sms/sqlite-maindb-file/75258f84-4b2d-4284-82b0-958bed9f3b36