From Just Solve the File Format Problem
From 2008 to 2017, when a split occured and some versions replaced it with skype.db (see that page for details), the VoIP + chat program Skype stored the most accessible copy of its message and call history in an SQLite database named main.db. Much of the information stored in main.db, and some that wasn't (namely "deleted" messages), was also stored in a directory structure called "chatsync".
- : Skyperious, an open-source viewer written in Python
- pip2 name: skyperious
- : NirSoft SkypeLogViewer, a proprietary freeware viewer
-  Another proprietary freeware viewer
-  Ditto.
- StackOverflow: skype: how to read chat message using main.db
- StackOverflow: skype main.db - difference between Chats and Conversations
- Betrayed Spouses Club: Skype Main.db
- AskUbuntu: How should I see the skype chat history from the file main.db located at ~/.Skype/SKYPEUSERNAME/?
- Yahoo Answers: Why don't I have a main.db file on my Mac for Skype?
- ↑ O'Connor, T.J. Violent Python: A Cookbook For Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers And Security Engineers. Elsevier, 2013. p. 110. IA link
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20080716022445/http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/windows/beta/ Note the date.
- ↑ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/where-is-the-maindb-file-for-new-skype/b4d3f263-a97e-496e-aa28-e1dbb63e7687