Revit software uses a few different file formats.
- RTE (template) files and RVT (project) files are actual Revit® projects.
- RFA (family) files and RFT (family template) files are family files that can either be loaded into a project or saved externally.
- RVG are Revit group files.
- RWS files are Revit workspace files created as a backup during software use.
Generally the format consists of a few files and folders, usually containing a file called "BasicFileInfo" and a PNG or JPG thumbnail file "RevitPreview4.0". RFA files newer than 2010 have an XML file included called "PartAtom" which includes details of the family file.
- Revit library 1.0 to 3.0 (needs more research)
- Revit library 4.0 to 9.0 (no "BasicFileInfo" contains thumbnail "RevitPreview4.0")
- Revit library 2008 to 2018 ("BasicFileInfo" file with build info. "Revit Build: Autodesk Revit 2018 (Build: 20170130_1515(x64))" contains thumbnail "RevitPreview4.0")
- Revit library 2019 to 2020 (BasicFileInfo" file with new format & build info. "Format: 2020 Build: 20190207_1515(x64)" contains thumbnail "RevitPreview4.0")
- RVT Samples files from library version 6 circa 2004
- AutoDesk Revit 2020 RVT Sample Project Files
- AutoDesk Revit 2020 RFA Sample Family Files
- AutoDesk Revit 2015 RVT Sample Project Files
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodesk_Revit
- ↑ https://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/revit-history.html
- ↑ http://www.cadonline.com/reviews/software/cad/0602revit/0602revit.htm
- ↑ https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Revit-file-types.html
- ↑ https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Revit/files/GUID-AD57A0E7-8DC6-45FD-8571-8FF51E5BC3A2-htm.html
- ↑ https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2010/06/open-revit-ole-storage.html
- ↑ https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2008/10/rvt-file-version.html