Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) is an industry specification that permits digital musical instruments, computers and other related devices to connect and communicate with one another. The MIDI Specification was published in August 1983.
As well as the standard MIDI specification, a number of (often proprietary) MIDI clones and variants have been created over the years. These include:
- Standard MIDI-File Format Spec. 1.1
- The Complete MIDI 1.0 Detailed Specification Available for purchase from MMA (MIDI Manufacturers Association)
- The MIDI Specification Not the official specification, but an adaptation.
- MIDI Sequence Data, from Library of Congress resource on Sustainability of Digital Formats
- Standard MIDI File Format, from Library of Congress resource on Sustainability of Digital Formats
- Brief Overview of Proposed General MIDI Level 1 Spec
- MIDI Sample Dump Standard
- The USENET MIDI Primer