From Just Solve the File Format Problem
Revision as of 22:42, 5 December 2012 by JTN
GIF and is frequently used in TIFF images. Developed by Terry Welch in 1984. All patents on the LZW algorithm worldwide have expired.LZW (Lempel-Ziv-Welch) is a widely used lossless compression algorithm used primarily for images. It is the compression scheme used in
- A Technique for High-Performance Data Compression Welch, Terry A. Computer, Vol. 17, No. 6 (June 1984): pp. 8-19
- Lempel-Ziv-Welch : Wikipedia
- LZW Compression Encoding, from Library of Congress resource on Sustainability of Digital Formats
- LZW Revisited a 2011 update to an article by Mark Nelson written 20 years earlier.
- Lempel-Ziv-Welch (LZW) Compression From Encyclopedia of Graphics File Formats at FileFormat.Info (1996)